, , ,


The “Ponte dell’Industria” (Industry bridge, also known in Rome as Ponte di ferro, Iron bridge) was built in 1863, under Pope Pio IX, for the railway which linked Rome to Civitavecchia. At that time it was possible to open the central part of the bridge to allow the passage of steam boats. In 1911 the railway was moved to the bigger new bridge close to it and the iron bridge was left in place for vehicles and pedestrians.

On April 7th, 1944 the nazi soldiers killed here ten women who “stole” few bread and flour from a bakery producing bread for nazi troops occupying Rome.

The story of the bridge in italian

The story of the massacre (Wiki italian)